Social Services

Home / Social Services
Social ServicesPhone: 405-422-7877Fax: 405-422-7405Contact Department

The Social Service Department administers the General Assistance Program, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), the Food Vouchers Program, and the Individual Indian Money (IIM) Supervised Accounts Program. Services are provided to tribal residents who reside in tribal jurisdiction. These programs strive to promote family unity through economic and social stability and help preserve and maintain the family unit while providing guidance toward self-sufficiency.


Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

LIHEAP assists households with the costs for heating during the winter months (October 1st to March 31st), and cooling during the summer months (April 1st to September 30th). Available once per season (winter and summer), LIHEAP can pay for up to $300.00 on electricity, propane, or gas bills. Clients can not simultaneously receive assistance through DHS’ LIHEAP services in the same season.


LIHEAP eligibility is determined by household size and the entire household’s income. Amount of assistance provided is based on multiple factors, household size, household income, type of utility, and if the applicant is disabled/or an elder. Services will need to be in the applicant’s name.

Weatherization Starter Kits, Heaters/or Blankets, and A/C Units/or Fans are provided to eligible applicants once person season.  Installation is the responsibility of the client.  The program is not responsible for damage of broken units and will not provide replacements.  Please contact the manufacturer for more information.

LIHEAP Requirements:

• At least one member of a federally-recognized American Indian or Alaska Native tribe per household

• CDIB must be provided

• The household receiving assistance must reside within the eleven (11) county service area

• Proof of income for all household members over eighteen (18) years of age

• Income includes: Check stubs, SSI/SSA/VA award letters, TANF award letters, unemployment benefit statements, child support award letters, & an annual IIM account summary must be included in the proof of income

• Those who do not have income must fill out a “No Income Statement” and have it notarized original utility bill

• A copy of the bill will be provided to the client

• Accounts must be current and active and cannot already be disconnected

• Accounts that are disconnected will be automatically denied

• Please contact the caseworker for more information @ 405-422-7476

Community Service Block Grant Program (CBSG) 

The goal of the Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribes Community Service Block Grant is to help our clients to develop the skills and tools needed to decrease poverty issues while working toward self-sufficiency in providing for their families’ needs. The program is only available to Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribal members who reside within the service area, including Oklahoma County.

The objectives of the CSBG include:

• Provide food assistance to households in the community that meet guidelines of the program.  Food voucher and non-perishable items will be provided.

• Provide emergency utility assistance (utilities that have been cut-off and require reinstatement of service fee) for up to $225.00 towards utility bill for individuals and families that meet the criteria of the CSBG program (assistance available one time per fiscal year).

• Educate and provide resource handouts to obtain a General Education (GED) and/or higher education degree.

• Provide a list of current job opportunities.

• Provide a community resource book to individuals and families when needed.

The client will be required to follow all guidelines and policies of the CSBG Program to qualify or services, which include, but not limited to:

• Filling out and submitting an application for the CSBG Program and providing accurate information.

• Providing a copy of the CDIB and/or letter verifying tribal enrollment through the Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribes.

• Providing a copy of income for everyone in the home of 18 years old and older.

• Signing appropriate waivers (no current residence, authorization for a utility company, authorization to verify no assistance for SNAPS Program/Food Distribution Program).

Tribal Family Advocate and Prevention Social Worker

The Tribal Family Advocate and Prevention Social Worker works together with Social Services programs to help respond to, and prevent, domestic violence and child maltreatment. In this capacity, the Social Worker will play a critical role in arranging services among multiple service providers for clients.

The Social Worker also provides input into the development of Bureau-wide practices and procedures to ensure compliance and accountability with 25 CFR Part 20. Serving as the liaison between the Tribe, BIA Regional Office, Office of Justice Service, Bureau of Indian Education and other Federal agencies, the Social Worker coordinates resources and services for healthier and safer American Indian and Alaskan Native families.

The activities of the Social Worker will also include community-wide prevention efforts to educate the population regarding abuse, exploitation of vulnerable children, while also providing information to tribal members about other social services agencies and the community at large.

General Assistance

The General Assistance program provides financial assistance to those who exhibit an immediate need for essential items such as food, clothing, shelter, and utilities. General Assistance is based on income and, because our goal is to help clients become more self-sufficient, assistance is only granted temporarily.

The goal of the program is to help individuals and their families until other resources become available. Therefore, it is not intended to be a permanent means of support. Individuals who apply must stay in compliance with other resources provided by the Department of Human Services, Social Security, and Vocational Rehabilitation, etc. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis. The General Assistance program follows the BIA CFR guidelines for Welfare Assistance.

General Assistance Requirements:

• A member of a federally-recognized American Indian or Alaska Native tribe over the age of eighteen (18)

• CDIB must be provided

• The household receiving assistance must reside within the eleven (11) county service area

•  A complete list of counties can be found here (link to service area below)

•  Proof of income for all household members over eighteen (18) years of age

•  Proof of income must include: Check stubs, SSI/SSA/VA award letters, TANF award letters, unemployment benefit statements, child support award letters, and an annual IIM account summary

•  Those who do not have income must fill out a “No Income Statement”

Proof of residence:

• Utility bill, bank statement, other mail, etc.

•  Supervised IIM Accounts

Supervised IIM Accounts

The Supervised IIM Account program is designed to assist tribal members that have been determined unable to handle their own financial affairs. Each client must have restricted trust property that generates income from oil and gas royalties and/or farm and grazing land leases. The main purpose of this program is to preserve and protect the finances of the supervised account holders. The Supervised IIM Account program considers a number of factors, including the number of funds involved, the client’s needs, responsibilities and abilities to make responsible financial decisions. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis. The program works with BIA Concho Agency Superintendent to determine the best interests of the client.

Adult Protective Services (APS)

Adult Protective Services (APS) provides assistance and services to help protect vulnerable adults from abuse, neglect or exploitation. APS strives to ensure that tribal members are not being abused, neglected or exploited and works collaboratively with state DHS agencies to investigate allegations of abuse, neglect, or exploitation.

Child Protective Services (CPS)

Child Protective Services (CPS) investigates reports of abuse and neglect that occur on restricted trust property. The CPS caseworker interacts directly with children and their families and acts on referrals from various community sources. The CPS worker will also follow up on referrals, make assessments, or conduct investigations as required and make the appropriate recommendations to the Social Services programs or legal authorities on behalf of tribal members.

Family Violence Program

The Family Violence Program provides support to tribal members that are experiencing trauma due to violence.  The Family Violence Program Advocate conducts assessments and makes referrals to other resources as needed. The Advocate also provides intervention services based on culture and traditions to tribal members on a case-by-case basis. The program works with all Social Services programs and other organizations to ensure tribal member’s needs are being met.

LIHEAP Caseworker

Phone: 405-422-7476

General Assistance Caseworker

Phone: 405-422-7476

Supervised IIM Accounts Caseworker

Phone: 405-422-7592

Child Protective Service (CPS)/ Adult Protective Services (APS) Caseworker

Phone: 405-422-7400

Tribal Family Advocate & Prevention Social Worker

Phone: 405-422-7400

Foster Care Worker

Phone: 405-422-7654

Family Violence Advocate

Phone: 405-422-7476

Social Services Coordinator

Phone: 405-422-7923

Social Services Service Area

Below is a complete list of counties and communities that make up the service area for Social Services. Please refer to this when determining eligibility for any Social Services programs.

Beckham: Canute, Elk City, Eric, and Sayre

Blaine: Canton, Carlton, Eagle City, Geary, Greenfield, Hitchcock, Homestead, Hydro, Longdale, Okeene, Southard, and Watonga

Canadian: Calumet, El Reno, Mustang, Piedmont, Union City, and Yukon

Custer: Arapaho, Butler, Clinton, Custer City, Thomas, and Weatherford

Dewey: Aledo, Burmah, Cestos, Fay, Huckmac, Leedey, Oakwood, Putnam, Rhea, Seiling, Taloga, Tran, and Vici

Ellis: Arnett, Catesby, Fargo, Gage, Goodwin, Harmon, and Shattuck

Kingfisher: Cashion, Dover, Hennessey, Kingfisher, Loyal, and Okarche

Major: Ames, Bado, Cedar Springs, Chester, Cleo Spring, Dane, Fairview, Isabella, Meno, Orienta, Orion, Ringwood, and Drummond

Roger Mills: Cheyenne, Hammon, Reydon, and Strong City

Washita: Cloud Chief, Colony, Cordell, Corn, Cowden, Lake Valley, and Rocky

Woodward: City of Woodward ONLY

Social Services  
CSBG Emergency Cares Act COVID-19
General Assistance

28813total visits,7visits today